Monday, April 23, 2012

             The article http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/15/nyregion/at-the-blue-school-kindergarten-curriculum-includes-neurology.html?pagewanted=2&_r=1&ref=general&src=me talks about the "Blue School.”    This is a private school located in downtown Manhattan.   What is unusual about this school is that the curriculum incorporates scientific research about cognitive development for the purpose of teaching students  more about the science of learning. The school uses their research tools in order to adapt them to what they do in school.   The teachers in the school hope that this instruction will aid students as they think about how they learn.   It is also anticipated that students will begin to see the connections between academics and emotions.   
            In my hours of observation I have come across many students who have emotional problems that require them to have an IEP.   These students frequently miss many class days due to problems such as anxiety and depression.   My question is this:  do you think a program such as this should be introduced into a high school setting in order to help out the students who need emotional assistance? Also, do you think this program would work in a high school or would the students have to be introduced to this approach to teaching early in order for it to become effective?  Do you think the whole school has to be on board for this or could you try something like this out on a smaller scale just your classroom?   Thoughts, opinions etc are welcome.


3 comments:

  1. I believe this system could work but a detailed curriculum guide and set of instructions will have to be included because I am a bit confused on exactly this means. I think it sounds good but many students may view this negatively because their learning is being totally changed. I think it should be tried at a small scale and worked up to the large full school scale, and I believe it should probably be introduced earlier rather than later so the developing mind can absorb the teachings better and make connections easier.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe this is a great idea for students with anxiety and depression. I know from my own observations I knew of a student who had a very high level of anxiety on a nightly basis; however her anxiety only showed at home, and it got to the point where she would make herself sick because of school, homework, etc.

    This student was classified and put into inclusion classes/resource room. Looking at her in the classroom, I would have had no idea; she was a happy, bright girl who loved to participate. Anxiety and depression are in my opinion one of the most difficult to deal with in the classroom because many students tend to hide it, and hide it very well.

    I believe this program would be without a doubt beneficial for students in high school. I do think however, it could be introduced at all different academic levels (elementary, middle, high school)... because sometimes anxiety and depression might not start until then.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe that this is a great idea, but I feel as though the children leaving this school may not be prepared for the public school's testing. When they enter the school system, they will be faced with a system that loves to test, test, test. If they enter this system without having any real experience of taking tests or any real test taking skills, they will be at a disadvantage compared to their school mates.

    ReplyDelete